Bureaucratic Nightmare

We have been long defined by our Bureaucracy. Indian bureaucracy is a nightmare and the best scope of corruption. Officers (called as babus ) hold in their hands literally the lives of the people around them. So it is no wonder that their attitudes are hedonistic and downright rude towards the common masses.

Now most of the people who know me will be wonder what's got me ranting about the bureaucratic India (Yeah! it's true, it's not the politicos that rule the country but the bureaucrats). Yesterday I got a close view of collage bureaucracy!! (Sounds fun.. Yah I know)

I had some paperwork which I needed to get signed off from my collage. Now for the past couple of week I have been putting off this activity because of my fear for the collage bureaucracy.. and boy oh boy was I right to be scared.

The activity which in it actuality took me only 4 mins and 27 secs to conclude was carried out over a period of 1.5 hours. First I was told that my collage principal is not in office and will be back in 30 mins. acceptable as he's really a person with lots on his plate.

My problem was with the collage clerks, the condescending attitude really puts a person off, along with the glorified sense of self importance seen from the peons outside the principals office to the babus in the admin office.

All my documents in place, I was made to wait for more than 40 mins, just because the babu could make me and then I was put under inquisition:
- Are you a student?
- Why do u want this signed?
- Where did u get this doc from?
- What happened to the previous doc?
- Who sent u here?
and so on...

I agree all the above questions seem logical, but for the life of me I cannot understand why should answer all this questions when the covering letter holds the answers to all the ones asked above and babu in question has read the covering letter before starting the inquisition. The most I should be asked is an Id proof ( which incidentally I was not asked) and that should be it.

It was the same apathy in my college years by the babus that was responsible for lots of students not using the library, getting the railway/bus concessions due to them, it is also 1 of the principal reasons why I don't have any fond memories of my college.

This has also got me started thinking about the collage alumni network, due to such apathy none of the students who pass out through the collage have a strong bonding with their alma matter, and due to this I believe a lot of Indian Colleges do not have a strong alumni network which can help them out during crisis or simply during placements/recruitment.

I would say the collages in India with the exception of a few heavyweights are losing out on a important source of information and resources when they ignore their students or show them apathy. Their loss is B-Schools and foreign universities gain... 

Comments